2.13.2006

Death Cab For My Morning Jacket

During my six hour break from classes today (wedged between the tedious detail of Uniform Commercial Code Article 2 and the tiresome doldrums of Pre-Trial), I watched the latest edition of PBS's Austin City Limits, featuring a split session with Death Cab For Cutie and My Morning Jacket. 2 things crossed my mind as I watched.

1) I recently went to Nashville, TN to see Death Cab. While pulling into the city with which I have developed (along with Memphis) an intense infatuation, my trip-mates and I were listening to
Plans. "Crooked Teeth," DC4C's current single, was playing as we crossed the Cumberland River, and I made a comment that "Crooked Teeth" was probly my least favorite track on the record. To this comment, trip-mate Amber took great offense, claiming that it was possibly her favorite of the 11 offerings on Plans.

Promoting the new single, DC4C played "Crooked Teeth" to close out the 30 minutes allotted to the televised portion of their performance on Austin City Limits. The rendition was solid, and while I still think it is the weakest track on
Plans, followed closely by "Soul Meets Body," Ben Gibbard poured out a lyric that I had not really noticed before, much to my delight. Immediatly prior to the short but grinding bridge, Gibbard whines: "My head is weak, my heart always speaks, before I know what it will say." This line really shook me, and I think hit close to home for one reason or another. I think its brilliant when something like that happens; when you're listening to a record or a performance that you've heard many many times, and a piece you've never before wrapped your mind around jumps up and flicks you on the forehead. Its like getting another song for free.

2) The My Morning Jacket half of the program was simply incredible. With the exception of a stirring rendition of "Golden," (from
It Still Moves) all of the songs performed were from the fantastic latest release, Z. The passion and conviction with which the band performs is embodied in the strained facial expressions and physical dynamism of bearded frontman Jim James. Having not seen My Morning Jacket in person, I'm not sure if they were just putting out for the historic venue or the PBS cameras, but I have a feeling this is the kind of performance to which fans of these Louisville natives are accustomed. The renditions of "Gideon" and the eight minute plus "Dondante" were particularly memorable. I now severely regret missing My Morning Jacket when they came through St. Louis last November.

If you have the means to check this episode of Austin City Limits sometime on PBS, sit back, pour yourself a beer, and rock out.

1 Comments:

Blogger MJS said...

Josh just made me think of grass
Grass makes me think of Tim
Tim is angry
Thank you Josh for making me think of angry tim

Mon Feb 13, 08:06:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home